Welcome to the Custom Graphics (or ExGFX) Forum! This is the place for getting help and feedback on everything regarding custom graphics for SMW Hacking. Therefore, this forum is meant to house:
- Any SMW Graphics-related personal showoff threads, if you're constantly working on tilesets or spritesets for release or not.
- Help threads regarding SMW Graphics-specific problems that normally would fit more in a dedicated forum than in our SMW Hacking Help forum, which is more oriented towards Lunar Magic and other basic issues.
Before you post or make a thread here, please have in mind the following rules:
- Make your problem as clear as possible when asking for help!
Be specific when describing your problem and post screenshots, GIF's or even videos so we can understand the issue and help you appropriately.
- Posted images should be of good quality and sensible file size!
Good quality in pictures help us notice details better, which is especially important for giving feedback. The preferred image format is PNG, since it's good enough in quality and it's of low size. Avoid JPG and BMP entirely, since the former is blurry and the latter is too heavy and doesn't accomplish much more than PNG. Also make sure your GIF's aren't too heavy - LICEcap is a user-friendly GIF making program that also makes low-sized files.
- Don't go overboard when upsizing your images!
Sometimes native sizing isn't enough to make your problem apparent or to show off your graphics as well as intended, so upsizing your image is a good way to help us notice the details. However, upsizing too much can lead us to actually miss on them, since all we'll see is a bunch of big squares instead of pixels. 2x upsize is enough for most cases.
- Give constructive criticism!
Make sure you can help the person showing off their work to notice the problems in it and give tips for improvement. For graphics rips you can help to find ways to optimize tilemaps and palettes. Also, don't just post empty praises. Be specific at which parts or aspects of the work being shown off caught your attention and interest the most.
- No graphics request threads.
These clutter the forum and keep people from seeing Project Threads or Help Threads, which isn't good to look at. Keep all requests in the Requests Forum. Please carefully read the rules of that forum when making or fulfilling requests.
This applies to all requests, whether they be for original graphics or rips.
Any concerns regarding the SMW Graphics section should be directed to these people
Join our Discord channel, #graphics, if you need quick help and feedback on your work!