EDIT: Oh, almost forgot, here are movies, they can be played back with Snes9x 1.54.1: http://bin.smwcentral.net/u/9410/SMH.zip
I won't discuss levels in too much detail (with exception for Bowser Jr's Castle), because there is barely anything to talk about. That said, here are issues I found.
- First stage doesn't appear to be reachable, I started with Forest Swamp.
- So called "cut-off prevention" (square blocks) look uglier than cut-off in my opinion (especially when they barely prevent any cut-off, the thing with water could be handled by simply raising land).
- Don't explain stuff when you don't need to. People will figure that green water is dangerous
(yes, I know it's purple in this video, but still, the game doesn't explain it, so you don't have to either).
- In Rising Fortress, player starts at the bottom, giving barely any time to react. Provide some floor below player, to give some time to react to a gimmick. Like, say, start with Mario in the upper half of a level.
- In Yellow Switch Palace, there are many places where player get stuck. I've marked them on this image. Two of those above turn blocks are fairly contrived (the player has to get here without having a mushroom, and wait for turn blocks to become solid), and are probably fine (considering level has time limit). However, the one in middle is very likely to get trapped in, as there is springboard just below it. You may want to get rid of used blocks in the middle part, they don't really serve any purpose in a puzzle.
- Diagonal pipe should be blocked from right side to block upside-down slope parts, as they don't really work correctly.
- This looks weird, pretty sure you can do better than that.
Now for Bowser Jr's Castle. This level really feels out of place for this ROM hack. It's much longer and trickier than rest of a level. I like it design wise, but there is so much difficulty dissonance between this level and rest of levels in this ROM hack. I feel like it should be toned town and have a Midway Point (or perhaps rest of levels should be made harder).
The boss of that level is garbage. Rest of level is quite fun, but boss is simply garbage. I just gave up on it, it's not worth my time. The problem is that after two hits, it changes the pattern to throw shells, which is unexpected and probably will cause unfair damage. Also boss is also much faster, and because it's chasing Mario, there is no way to jump over a boss
, and player cannot spinjump on it (some custom sprites decided to not use standard colission code, instead they implemented their own weird version). Not only that, but duration during which boss can be hit appears to be glitchy, and while I was battling Bowser Jr., I tried spinjumping on it just after it was hit by a shell, but it very quickly returned to its regular state causing damage to me. How is that fair? This is the unfortunate thing about Super Mario World custom bosses in custom sprites section, they are mostly unfun to play against garbage.
I'm done, if there is anything after Bowser Jr's Castle, I'm not reviewing it, the boss of this place is garbage, and I don't want to use savestates.
--------------------Legacy ports zip
(now that those went down because Dropbox)