Banner
Views: 993,327,337
Time:
12 users online:  Ayami, Daizo Dee Von, edgar, fanfan21, GangsterJerby, GrenCarret, gui, kurtistrydiz, Nextalis,  NopeContest, SweatyNoodle, TheBourgyman - Guests: 69 - Bots: 141 Users: 54,471 (2,083 active)
Latest: Darkness32158
Tip: Unless you're making a Kaizo hack, don't make Mario die after cutting the goal tape.
Not logged in.
2017 Old-School Level Design Contest (Discussion)
Forum Index - Sunken Ghost Ship - Old Contests & Events - 2017 Old-School Level Design Contest (Discussion)
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 715 16 » Link - Thread Closed
feel limited by the tilesets?? you could always play around with the following:

castle 1 / castle 2 let you use the hills from level 105.

rope 2 lets you use the cave bg, but it also lets you use the underwater boat background. keep in mind this does not allow you to use line guide ends, but you could use the castle sprite set and have grinders on line guides that loop around and stuff.

normal 2 lets you use the castle pillars bg, although the flame exanimation will be glitched. you could bypass this by having a low roof, tho this might be harder to use well lol. (also it looks kinda silly) (example)

rope 3 lets you use the forest bg + clouds + mountains + etc. it also allows you to use line guide ends, so you can be a bit more open with the shit you do. (example)

ghost house 2 lets you use the underwater bg stuff so u could prolly play around w that being cute (example)

underground 3 lets you use forest / clouds / etc backgrounds.

plus you can play around with translucent fg / dark bg level settings & whatever. pretty sure most of these were used in the original game, but it's just a reminder that you can make more than a basic grassland / cave / etc.

(i just really dont want to play a bunch of fucking level 105 edits)
Originally posted by ft029
Is changing the time to 999 or adding the "force time limit to reset to..." allowed?

Don't ask why.

It's allowed, but if you actually expect the player to use up all of this time or if the level is so punishing that repeating it a million times is a real concern then you might want to reconsider doing that cause it's going to tank your scores for at least one judge.
We really don't need levels that take an hour to beat, the contest's deadline is this short for a reason (it's to discourage VLDC's consistent entire-world-in-one-level issue).


If you just don't want to bother setting an actual time limit then I suppose go for it, though really, what kind of level wouldn't be possible within a less-than-999 time limit?

--------------------
Your layout has been removed.
I want a partner to work with. I was PM-ing someone to make a level with me and hasn't replied yet. And yeah, this one's really busy with real life stuff. I'm making a flooded castle/sewer level. I want a hacker who knows layer 2 stuff well. This doesn't mean I can't use layer 2 properly, but it's kinda annoying for me to work with layer 2. The first part will be simple, but the second one will use that layer 2; it can be a smasher. Thanks


EDIT: Do the pipes combined with conveyors looks appropriately?

I have a Discord server as well!
-----
Basically, I believe in peace and bashing two bricks together.
Do we also need to specify if the level has Yoshi Coins and/or 3UP Moons?
Originally posted by MarioFan22
Do we also need to specify if the level has Yoshi Coins and/or 3UP Moons?

There's nothing told about it, but I think we should. Some mod really needs to edit the rules so it's clear if we have to specify if Yoshi coins/3-up moons are contained in a level. Both aren't disallowed here so feel free to use them!#smw{:peace:}
I have a Discord server as well!
-----
Basically, I believe in peace and bashing two bricks together.
Originally posted by MarioFan22
Do we also need to specify if the level has Yoshi Coins and/or 3UP Moons?

I just specified that in the opening message like in VLDCX just in case.

--------------------
*THAT'S RIGHT!! NOW'S YOUR CHANCE TO BE A [[BIG SHOT]]!!
*AND I HAVE JUST.
*THE THING.
*YOU NEED.
*THAT'S
*
[[Hyperlink Blocked]]
.
Originally posted by user23507
EDIT: Do the pipes combined with conveyors looks appropriately?
no offense but that looks terrible. You'd be better off trying to design with the pipes going into the ceiling blocks.

--------------------
r̲̲̲̲̲̲̲̲a̲̲̲̲̲̲̲̲t̲̲̲̲̲̲̲̲s̲̲̲̲̲̲̲̲p̲̲̲̲̲̲̲a̲̲̲̲̲̲̲̲w̲̲̲̲̲̲̲̲n̲̲̲̲̲̲̲̲
In the original SMW, eater blocks were always accompanied with creator blocks. So is using eater blocks by themselves against the rules or something?
If we use a message box, presumably we want to put the text of the message somewhere separate, like in a text file?

(Unless something's changed in the 7 years since I last touched LM (which is probable), message box text isn't saved with the level, but with the overworld, so...)
Originally posted by rules
Polish: Negative 10/10
does this mean that polishing our level earns us negative points on a scale?

e:
does this count as a loophole? technically its an unedited bg, but since the hills are the same colour as the bg you can only see the stars

--------------------
r̲̲̲̲̲̲̲̲a̲̲̲̲̲̲̲̲t̲̲̲̲̲̲̲̲s̲̲̲̲̲̲̲̲p̲̲̲̲̲̲̲a̲̲̲̲̲̲̲̲w̲̲̲̲̲̲̲̲n̲̲̲̲̲̲̲̲
Originally posted by Hobz
Originally posted by rules
Polish: Negative 10/10
does this mean that polishing our level earns us negative points on a scale?

XD

No, not really. It's the amount of points which can be lost if you don't polish your level.
I have a Discord server as well!
-----
Basically, I believe in peace and bashing two bricks together.
Man I can't wait to build #lm{l1} my level and fill #lm{sprites} it with #lm{sp} sprites #lm{sprites} it's gonna rock judges please remember to give my level a 200 #lm{2door}#lm{scan}#lm{scan} out of 10 #lm{1door}#lm{scan} thanks #smw{:TUP:}

Originally posted by Hobz
Originally posted by rules
Polish: Negative 10/10
does this mean that polishing our level earns us negative points on a scale?

e:
does this count as a loophole? technically its an unedited bg, but since the hills are the same colour as the bg you can only see the stars


Should be fine if you're not editing the palette, right? How'd you get the hills to be black?

--------------------
Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399Twitter: @Vine_STYouTube: that ivy guy
Setting back area color to 3 and BG palette to 6 should suffice.
It doesn't count as a loophole, so you should be fine.
Originally posted by MarioFan22
Do we also need to specify if the level has Yoshi Coins and/or 3UP Moons?

No.

Originally posted by CondorTalon
If we use a message box, presumably we want to put the text of the message somewhere separate, like in a text file?

(Unless something's changed in the 7 years since I last touched LM (which is probable), message box text isn't saved with the level, but with the overworld, so...)

We would probably notice them, but yes, just in case that is a good idea. Honestly we just didn't really think about the how-to-submit format that much. It won't be the end of the world if you've already submitted and did not enclose a txt file though.
I'll add it to the submission rules!

Originally posted by ft029
In the original SMW, eater blocks were always accompanied with creator blocks. So is using eater blocks by themselves against the rules or something?

That is fine.
Just make sure they do not flip out and fly off diagonally and eat exclusively used blocks in a visible path. Doing the "turn an invisible coin block into a used block" thing should be fine as well.

Originally posted by Hobz
does this count as a loophole? technically its an unedited bg, but since the hills are the same colour as the bg you can only see the stars

That is fine.

--------------------
Your layout has been removed.
If we were to ever do this again, I think a rule should be that we have to use Lunar Magic 1.0, since so many options in newer versions to edit a SMW ROM aren't considered "pure vanilla".
Thankfully nothing about the contest says "pure vanilla" anywhere, so we're safe #smw{:peace:}

--------------------
Your layout has been removed.
Originally posted by idol
feel limited by the tilesets?? you could always play around with the following:

castle 1 / castle 2 let you use the hills from level 105.

rope 2 lets you use the cave bg, but it also lets you use the underwater boat background. keep in mind this does not allow you to use line guide ends, but you could use the castle sprite set and have grinders on line guides that loop around and stuff.

normal 2 lets you use the castle pillars bg, although the flame exanimation will be glitched. you could bypass this by having a low roof, tho this might be harder to use well lol. (also it looks kinda silly) (example)

rope 3 lets you use the forest bg + clouds + mountains + etc. it also allows you to use line guide ends, so you can be a bit more open with the shit you do. (example)

ghost house 2 lets you use the underwater bg stuff so u could prolly play around w that being cute (example)

underground 3 lets you use forest / clouds / etc backgrounds.

plus you can play around with translucent fg / dark bg level settings & whatever. pretty sure most of these were used in the original game, but it's just a reminder that you can make more than a basic grassland / cave / etc.

(i just really dont want to play a bunch of fucking level 105 edits)

Thanks!

@leod and MFG: I get it now, thx. Sorry for the disturbance.

--------------------
My Mode 0 guide.

My Discord server. It has a lot of archived ASM stuff, so check that out!

Originally posted by Kyanite
I think a rule should be that we have to use Lunar Magic 1.0, since so many options in newer versions to edit a SMW ROM aren't considered "pure vanilla".

Well, you can use old versions, but remember there are some issues hiding in them. Other than that, it's fine to use older versions of LM, but not necessary
I have a Discord server as well!
-----
Basically, I believe in peace and bashing two bricks together.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 715 16 » Link - Thread Closed
Forum Index - Sunken Ghost Ship - Old Contests & Events - 2017 Old-School Level Design Contest (Discussion)

The purpose of this site is not to distribute copyrighted material, but to honor one of our favourite games.

Copyright © 2005 - 2022 - SMW Central
Legal Information - Privacy Policy - Link To Us


Menu

Follow Us On

  • YouTube
  • Twitch
  • Twitter

Affiliates

  • Super Mario Bros. X Community
  • ROMhacking.net
  • Mario Fan Games Galaxy
  • sm64romhacks