Banner
Views: 589,524,019
Time: 2017-12-11 01:10:40 AM
24 users online: Celestial Seraph, DehydratedLemur, Dr. Tapeworm, Eevee, Fierce Deity Manuz OW Hacker, Hinalyte, idol, Impetus, Konata Izumi, Kyrangor, o Ladida, lolyoshi, o Manofer, Matheus2653, MaZ, MegaMarioBros, Meirdent, MrMrMANGOMILK, o Noivern, o Qwoll, o Shiny Ninetales, SubconsciousEye, The Yak Smoker, TheJullasicFox - Guests: 64 - Bots: 245Users: 33,208 (1,456 active)
Latest: Tee-tah Furby
Tip: Only use a few different kinds of enemies per level. Overdoing it can make your level feel disjointed and clunky.Not logged in.
VLDCX - New Leaders, the Overworld, & World X.
Forum Index - Events - Current Contests & Events - The 10th Annual Vanilla Level Design Contest - VLDCX - New Leaders, the Overworld, & World X.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14 15 »
Hey y'all, idol here. Quite a lot has transpired since the last update - primarily with Vitor Vilela's resignation from both the staff team and from VLDCX. What this meant for VLDCX was hazy at first, but in the time since then there has been a lot of preparation work done for the future of this massive project.

Firstly, Medic and I will both be leading this project from here on out. Medic is handling much of the scary asm stuff required for this project, which means we will still be doing the two roms-in-one crazy SA-1 technology, amongst many other cool ideas we have planned. I will be leading the organization of this project and make sure things are running smoothly. We have a good structure for this project, and we're excited to continue working on it from here on out.

Secondly, how does Vitor's resignation affect the judging you might ask? Frankly, it doesn't. Judging is going fine, although results might be a bit later than you guys might expect. Be patient however, as the judge team is working hard to make sure the judging is good and discussed beforehand, so we don't have a VLDC9 case of ranking changes to break ties or any questionable judging. Further questions about judging will have to be answered by the judges though - I entered the contest so I don't know a ton about the judging beyond making sure it's going smoothly.

Thirdly, there has been some talk about the Overworld Contest this year, how it's gonna be handled, and when it will be. There will not be an Overworld Contest this year. Last year, the self-described "Squadmap" created by Code of the Dragon didn't even finish being made in the time limit. This year, there will be twice the amount of map to fill potentially, since we're using two whole roms worth of map space. This includes having two big maps, along with however many submaps we decide to fill. This would not be feasible in a contest, as it is simply just too much work to do. As such, the overworld will be handled in a collaborative manner. Stay tuned for more info on this at a later point!

Fourthly, we will not be remixing old songs for VLDC this year. Levels that used SMW Music will continue to use SMW Music in the collab hack. We will be composing new songs for the overworld though, and we hope our various composers on the site will come and help us out during that time. More information on this will be shared at a later point when we are ready to begin this process.

And, lastly, there has been a lot of worries amongst people about the amount of entries we have gotten this year and how that will spell for World X. "Will you need to really beat every single level to get to it? That's an exhausting amount of work!". As such, we have decided that World X will NOT require a 100% of the exits. What amount it will require is undecided, but you will not need to complete every exit to "beat" the game. There will be something for 100% exits reached though, but it will not be World X.

Feel free to ask any questions!
Nice to hear that you guys already have plans underway!

I take it green doors won't be a thing this year?
Layout by Erik557
Hi.
Originally posted by idol
There will be something for 100% exits reached though, but it will not be World X.


World Y? #w{=P}
Sucks to hear that there won't be any remixed music for the levels but I understand at the same time. Oh well.

Good to hear stuff has been figured out.
Currently working on a SMB3-esque hack


W3Schools
My Youtube - Layout by RanAS
Originally posted by Wind Fish
Nice to hear that you guys already have plans underway!

I take it green doors won't be a thing this year?

Yep, straight up Kaizo levels will be disqualified, while very hard levels will actually be slightly more rewarding to beat with the system we're planning to implement for progression.
That means they won't be required, you can just beat other levels instead, but those people that do want to beat them won't be wasting their time by beating them. You'll see.
Maybe it's fair to have a system where if the player dies over 20 times on a level, then a green door or whatever appears.
Can someone explain to me how the 2 roms in one rom approach works.

Will it be like Super Mario All Stars, where you get a menu at the start of the game which allows you to pick between two different Super Mario World games, where the entries are split up between both games?

Or will the two roms be combined in a way that makes the overwold map twice as big with twice as many levels? So it just looks like smw was twice as big?

Thanks.

Originally posted by idol
Secondly, how does Vitor's resignation affect the judging you might ask?
Did anybody actually ask this?

Anyways \o/ @ no green doors and I vote 60% completion for endgame

when somebody is impatient regarding vldc results i'm like

so 100 percent completion to me should be no extra levels that's like a staff level or anything else, that is too many exits, will their be a hall of fame for all the exits like vldc7#tb{:?}
I hope the overworld will be full of munchers
woah, i'm stoked! this double overworld size thing sounds crazy
Will the rom space be combined or is the contest gonna be on 2 different roms?

--------------------
*Insert witty footer here*
Originally posted by Final Theory
will the two roms be combined in a way that makes the overwold map twice as big with twice as many levels? So it just looks like smw was twice as big?

yeah, this basically. the actual world sizes will not change, but yeah we can have two big maps - something no other hack has done before. it will all seem like one big version of smw and (as far as i know) will all just be on one rom you patch when you guys play it. some crazy sa-1 bank switching stuff that goes way above my head - you'd have to ask medic for further information.

Originally posted by Hobz
I vote 60% completion for endgame

Did anybody actually ask this? for your opinion? #w{=D}

Originally posted by werd
so 100 percent completion to me should be no extra levels that's like a staff level or anything else, that is too many exits,

yeah, most of us agree that 100% completion will not be a level or a beyond world x or something. it is way too many exits lmao.

Originally posted by werd
will their be a hall of fame for all the exits like vldc7

unlikely.

Originally posted by Wise Person
Will the rom space be combined or is the contest gonna be on 2 different roms?

all on 1 rom.
& the universe said ... /
It's good to see finally that the direction of this contest goes well. I honestly agree with don't have remixes and let use the original smw music.

Originally posted by Hobz
Originally posted by idol
Secondly, how does Vitor's resignation affect the judging you might ask?
Did anybody actually ask this?


Well, he was the previous leader, so it's not crazy that some people actually ask it (I don't think anybody asked this publicly, though)
Originally posted by leod
Yep, straight up Kaizo levels will be disqualified, while very hard levels will actually be slightly more rewarding to beat with the system we're planning to implement for progression.
That means they won't be required, you can just beat other levels instead, but those people that do want to beat them won't be wasting their time by beating them. You'll see.

Nice! Looking forward to it. #tb{:D}
Layout by Erik557
Hi.

Originally posted by idol
Originally posted by Hobz
I vote 60% completion for endgame

Did anybody actually ask this? for your opinion? #w{=D}

i guess not, sorry for trying to contribute
e: #w{=D}

when somebody is impatient regarding vldc results i'm like

After the craziness that was green doors in 9, I'm glad that Kaizo levels are being tossed out this year. The ability to pick easier levels to access World X also feels nice, as it means that few LPs will be identical due to massive variation in what players are good at, and that isn't even getting into speedrun routing.

--------------------
I really need a layout. :<
So will we get to listen to the same old remixes for the umpteenth time -- an issue many people were already complaining about last VLDC?

--------------------
Originally posted by Magiluigi
So will we get to listen to the same old remixes for the umpteenth time -- an issue many people were already complaining about last VLDC?


idol said that levels that use the original SMW music will continue to do so. That's how I understood it at least.


Also nice to see some a lot of really good changes being made finally.


Also, to start the green orb debate before it happens...
If so called "kaizo" levels like snakes and ladders and swissotel get thrown out, than I will seriously be dissapointed in the vldcx final collab. And I highly doubt that idol wants to throw out these levels either. I was thinking more like marioworld's level as an actual kaizo level.

Originally posted by MandL27
After the craziness that was green doors in 9, I'm glad that Kaizo levels are being tossed out this year. The ability to pick easier levels to access World X also feels nice, as it means that few LPs will be identical due to massive variation in what players are good at, and that isn't even getting into speedrun routing.


The bar to be kaizo-disqualified is actually pretty high; only one level has been outright killed for that reason to my knowledge.

--------------------
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 Steam: that ivy guy YouTube: that ivy guy
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14 15 »
Forum Index - Events - Current Contests & Events - The 10th Annual Vanilla Level Design Contest - VLDCX - New Leaders, the Overworld, & World X.

The purpose of this site is not to distribute copyrighted material, but to honor one of our favourite games.

Copyright © 2005 - 2017 - SMW Central
Legal Information - Privacy Policy - Link To Us


Total queries: 21

Menu

Follow Us On

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • YouTube

Affiliates

  • Talkhaus
  • SMBX Community
  • GTx0
  • Super Luigi Bros
  • ROMhacking.net
  • MFGG
  • Gaming Reinvented