Many thanks to everyone who participated this year! Here are the results...
Our 3rd place is nothing less than...
"La Pisscine" by Lazy and lolyoshi, with 73,0/80 points!
Our 2nd place winner is...
"hyperousia" by idol, with 74,5/80 points!
And finally, our 1st place goes to...
"Heart of Te Fiti" by GbreezeSunset, with 75,0/80 points!
1. "Heart of Te Fiti" by GbreezeSunset (75,0/80)
2. "hyperousia" by idol (74,5/80)
3. "La Pisscine" by Lazy and lolyoshi (73,0/80)
4. "Radical" by MiracleWater (71,0/80)
5. "Hydrocity Swim Test" by snoruntpyro (70,0/80)
6. "Castle Notatrap" by NGB and Sariel (69,5/80)
7. "STARRRRRRR (o.o)!" by yogui (68,5/80)
8. "Gold Rush" by Sixcorby (68,0/80)
9. "Berry Rush" by Pseudogon (67,5/80)
10. "ULTRASTAR RETURNS" by Morsel + Spiral Volcano by Linkdeadx2 + Janky Cavern by NeXuS15 (65,5/80)
11. "A Haunted Place" by Centipede (65,0/80)
12. "Rapture" by AbuseFreakHacker (64,5/80)
13. "Hard Piece of Crap" by ThePat545 (63,5/80)
14. "WENGERNALPBAHN" by FrozenQuills (63,0/80)
15. "The Ol' Switcheroo" by Hobz (61,5/80)
16. "Level" by TheBiob (60,5/80)
17. "chicken little" by white_moth (59,0/80)
18. "Castle of Bubble" by Superwario1999 + "KAIZO PRANK" by Koopster (56,0/80)
19. "The Three Trials" by natnew (53,5/80)
20. "Mole Shenanigans" by user23507 (52,5/80)
21. "HOLD UP!!!" by Tob (51,5/80)
22. "Goombas on the Moon" by alexandrite (48,5/80)
23. "Invisible Jump Rope" by Sokobansolver (47,5/80)
24. "Pogo Without a Stick" by Hook (46,0/80)
25. "The Shell Shuffle" by Cavin856 (44,5/80)
26. "Painful Hills" by Big Brawler (44,0/80)
27. "Double Down" by DogLivesMatter (43,5/80)
28. "Thwompy Weather" by msi810 (42,5/80)
29. "Dusty Cliffsides" by a hick (41,7/80)
30. "Wendy's Castle" by SwagAssMustafa (41,5/80)
31. "A Totally Generic Kaizo Level" by Minuy600 (38,5/80)
32. "Dis Manibus Sacrum" by Chosentw0 (37,2/80)
33. "Don't Forget POW" by xHF01x (36,0/80)
34. "Muncher's Mountains" by Luansilva12 (35,0/80)
35. "Contest Entry" by Aqua-Grove-Prod (32,5/80)
36. "Hell Awaits" by Zircon (30,7/80)
Here is the individual judge commentary right below: Katerpie ft029
That should hopefully be everything, at least for now. Expect the compilation to be released in a near future!
Congratulations to all contestants. The entries were way, way, way better this year (lots of scores over 60 from me, which I would be happy to replay, and scores over 70, which I will be very happy to replay). Judging was very entertaining, and I thank you all for that.
Also, great job on getting the sole perfect design score from me, Lazy and Lolyoshi, and the sole perfect creativity score from me, Hobz. No one is good at aesthetics though LUL
It was a long wait, but it was certainly worth it! I'm very proud of myself for making it into the top 10 out of like 40 people. It really means a lot to me because I never thought I was gonna participate in this contest in the first place. I only had a week to make my level since I was so busy. The fact that I've been improving over the years really fills me with joy. Maybe next year's KLDC will be the one where I get first place.
Wow. How did I miss almost every of ft´s streams? D:
However this contest contains a lot of great entries and many of them present unique ideas and clever design.
I admit that ours was a tad too repetitive and the boss probably could´ve been executed better. I guess 6th place is what we deserve for it and I´m still proud we scored that high, considering the amount of impressive entries this year. But honestly how cann´t you score our level 10/10 aesthetically?
Congrats to the other participants as well. I like that almost every level is able to represent the effort to attempt to score high. It´s gonna be a great compilation.
Also 35 people participating in a Kaizo contest is quite much. So thanks to the judges as well for continously working on their reviews. Even if one judge dropped out again at least many of your twos' remaining scorings are reasonable and (by what I´ve compared so far) quite equal everytime
e: Thanks for the tips by the way, this was the first level I made in ages after my return to SMWC so I didn't expect it to be good or anything. Next time, I hope to pour more of my heart into this. The fact it isn't unfun according to FT made me very glad to be honest. And yeah, the a e s t h e t i c sucked. I'll try to avoid cutoff next time around.
My level isn't as creative as anticipated during making it. A few obstacles have mentioned ft about Pain and Pleasure and Super Dram World 2. Only the latter is a complete coincidence because I've never played this hack and what's the most important, I created this level a few months before the Dram 2 release. I admit my kaizo trap at the end isn't the best at all and the waiting sections are kinda boring, but it's easy to notice when the switch will turn so you can easily get to the checkpoint. I'm worried ft didn't like my palettes, but:
1) I'm still not a palette expert.
2) I used to make worse palettes than I can do now, I mean I can use different, but similar colors combined with brightness to cause a wow effect.
Nevertheless, 20th place out of 36 places isn't really bad considering it's my first ever finished contest entry. I need to think of something more creative and better designed for the next year so there's huger chance to place in top 10. Congrats to all the contestants!
About my level, I just did like I do with some of my normal levels: find a gimmick and make the whole level around it (here it's the star ON/OFF sprite from STARW). It's just that since it's kaizo I can do more crazy things that would be too difficult normally.
Maybe I should do more kaizo levels (I won't lol I prefer normal levels).