Winter 2017 ExGraphics Contest
Welcome one and all to the 2017 ExGraphics Contest. You have walked into what will soon become one of the greatest art galleries on SMWC. I'm not talking about Idol, I'm not talking about vanilla level design, no... I'm talking about the wonderful world of drawing! I am your seasonal host this year, Skewer
. I hope you all have a pleasant time with the contest this year around.
Your task is simple: draw. You must draw graphics which resonate with the given theme. Our theme for this contest will be: Winter
! It can be festive, it can be an iceberg. It can be a cold wintery wasteland of unforgiving hypothermia. It can be whatever you want, as long as it fits with the theme of Winter
As with all the others that have come before, we're running two categories
: one for foregrounds, and one for backgrounds. You can submit both, and they shall be judged separately. You are free to include Layer 3 in your entry. We will allow graphical edits on Sprites. How these two will be judged are explained later on below.
Also, I would like to introduce to you all who have joined the Discord Server
, we have a Discussion Channel for the event in the SMW HACKING
section. As usual, we have the discussion thread as well.
Submitting your entry:
All entries must be posted in this thread before the deadline. Your submission must include the following:
- Map16 page (.map16) for your FG and/or BG
- The sample level (.mwl) utilizing your FG and/or BG in around one and three screens. This is what we'll look for when we'll judge your submission
- The ExGFX files
- If you have Layer 3/Sprites, all necessary files must be included too
Rules and Guidelines:
- No more than two Map16 pages may be used for each category
- You may not edit any of the original foreground/background graphics of Super Mario World. This does not
- You may not change the palettes of the status bar, player palette, and message boxes.
- No ripped graphics
- Animation is allowed
- The only ASM that is allowed is the hijacks that Lunar Magic itself puts into the SMW Rom that's being modified.
- Anything submitted to this contest must be "new
"; it must be something you haven't already submitted to the site, or not something made prior to this contest.
There are 3 judges this time, DrTapeworm
. Scoring will be given under the following categories:
• Does it look good?
• Are there any glitches?
• Is the tile set/background versatile? Does it have slopes or decorative objects?
• Does each tile of the tile set well convey how the player interacts with it?
• Is the tile set copied from another source?
• Does it have its own unique individuality, like its own hazards or decorative objects that fit well with it?
• Does everything seen fit with the tile set?
All of these things will be considered when your set and/or background is being judged. Do keep in mind that any Layer3
made as part of the Background will be judged as part of the background.
Point deductions will be taken from your overall design score from all the judges depending on the following:
- Map16 Page is missing any important tiles and it affects your graphics: -5
- Missing any files such as the Map16 file (.map16): -5
- Missing an ExGFX file: Disqualified
Total score: 60
What is a contest without prizes? We will give prizes to the winners of this contest.
• Games for 1st Place
, 2nd Place
and 3rd Place
• 1st Place
will also receive a shiny custom name color which will last for 3 months
You have three weeks
to work on your entry. The deadline is December 31st, 11:59 PM EST
... basically to keep it not confusing, the moment it turns January 2018 in the Eastern Standard Timezone.
Please post your entries here only, and keep all discussion in the discussion thread.
Good luck! to all participants.