Super Mario Legacy is a traditionally styled hack featuring 140 exits over 75 stages, heavily inspired by Super Mario Bros. 3 and Yoshi's Island.
I had planned to release it during this event, and I pushed for that hard over the past few weeks. However, I had to deal with a plethora of glitches and bugs, most of which related to accuracy emulators. With this being a 4+ year old project, fixing these issues took quite a bit of effort on my side. In the end, I did actually manage to finish the hack, but I wasn't able to thoroughly test the result yet. It is for this reason that I decided to not release the hack. I'm now aiming for a public release somewhere in early March 2018.
- Colorful SMAS-styled graphics;
- 140 exits; 75 stages; 9 worlds;
- Two-tier difficulty system;
- Implements SA-1;
- Long and challenging levels featuring multiple midway points;
- Designed to be enjoyed without the need for save states;
- Lots of optional collectibles for completionists;
- A secret new power-up;
- Soundtrack consisting of over 50 tracks
And some random statistics for fun:
- 417 levels inserted;
- 131 midway points;
- 149 custom blocks;
- 202 custom sprites;
- 1163 single-byte hex edits;
- all on a :cozy: 2MB rom
Although I'm supper bummed that I wasn't able to release today, I hope I got you a little bit excited for what's to come!
Also I'd like to extend a big thank you to the people in #help and #asm who've been helping me lots the past few weeks!