Itís that time again. If you werenít already aware, SMWC Idol is a SMW music-based competition held across multiple rounds, generally tournament-style. However, this year, weíre going a bit closer to the contestís roots. For Idol 9, we will be following a similar structure to Idol 2 -- there will be several rounds, across which ANYONE can enter ANY round. The final winner will be determined by overall performance across all rounds. Some key differences between Idol 2 and Idol 9, though:
1. Public voting makes its return. In Idol 2, there were judges, but public voting is too much fun to let that happen again. There is a major difference though--voting will be scored out of 10, not just ordered. This will make the scoring process significantly more fair.
2. The rounds will actually be organized. Every round will last 10 days, and voting will last the next 4, to complete a two week cycle each round, for a total of 7 rounds. If a round is composition based, the entry period will be extended by one week.
3. Unlike Idol 2, the challenges will not all be available from the start, and youíll soon understand why. They will be made available at the start of each round, as with recent Idols.
4. I WILL NOT BE MAKING THE CHALLENGES. You will! Thatís right--this yearís challenges will be created by the public. This post serves as a guideline date for challenge submissions. Think up some challenges you think could work (maximum 3 per person), and send them to me in PM or over Discord (tag is in my profile). At the time of each round, Iíll pull a challenge from a hat, and thatíll be the challenge for that round. Now of course there are some formalities: If I deem your challenge unfit for the competition, I will silently remove it from play before any drawing happens. Similarly, if there are challenges too similar to a challenge already drawn, they will be removed at the appropriate time.
You might notice something a bit special that is now possible--since I wonít know the challenges in advance...I may choose to enter alongside you all : )
Here are the official rules (lazily copypasted + modified from Idol 7):
1. Entries should be sent to me via PM on this site, or on Discord in DM (again, tag is in my profile). They must be in a compressed archive (zip, rar, 7z or whatever), containing the text file of your music, the SPC and all the additional samples that were used, if any.
2. Your entry must work with the latest AddmusicK. The beta is allowed--if you use it, please specify as such either when you send it to me or in the source file itself. (not necessary if you use #amk 3)
3. You may not share your piece of music, or identify yourself as the creator, until the results have been posted for that round.
4. You must follow the limitations given to you as the challenge for the current round.
5. NO EXTENSIONS WHATSOEVER. This will not change no matter how much you push, barring the special exception for composition rounds. If youíre late, suck it up.
6. No automatic porting programs. This means no NintSPC, CapSPC, SPCtoMML V1000, etc. Note that MIDI conversion programs are exempt from this rule (this means you're allowed to use TinyMM/PetiteMM/etc).
7. Breaking any of the rules will result in disqualification from the round.
There are NO SIGNUPS, because after several years of this Iíve realized itís kind of pointless. Plus it doesnít fit this format anyway.
And finally, scoring will work as follows. Voters will give each entry a score out of 10. At the end of each round, each entry will be given a score per vote normalized based on the average score of the voter. These scores will be totaled up across all voters and averaged for a final score out of 100 for the round.
Challenges are due by the time Round 1 begins on May 19, at noon PT / 15:00 ET (thatís one week). Get ready, and have fun!
(If you have any questions, feel free to ask, preferably here where everyone can see, or PM me on Discord. I'll try to get to any I see.)
Edit: Apologies for some initial formatting issues. I had this written in a Google doc and the numbering didn't copy over.