Originally posted by Final Theory
My request is kind of similar to this. I want a 32x32 block or something similar that when Mario touches it, he becomes Yoshi for a while. Like Mario disappears and you become Yoshi, without Mario on top of him as the main player. Then Maybe if you hit a 32x32 Mario block later on in the level then you can turn back into Mario.
Originally posted by Erik
This doesn't sound too hard in concept, but I can see it on practice being way too hard to code.
Okay so I thought about how feasible this would actually be. Maybe not ASM wise, but logic wise. I also wanted to supply some graphics in case it wasn't too difficult.
In the below gif the character jumps into the barrel and is transformed. In the vision I have, Mario jumps into the Yoshi block and gets transformed into Yoshi.
In the below gif, when you are an animal buddy and you cross the "no animal" sign you transform back into the main character and get offered a prize. In my vision when you are Yoshi and you walk past the no Yoshi sign you transform back into Mario and a 1-up mushroom spawns.
Below are the graphics to pull this off as well as a general idea of how it all works.
- So if the player turned into Yoshi, then you could turn Yoshi back with the no Yoshi sign or if Yoshi finishes a level then you beat the level and on the over-world you are back to Mario and you are riding on Yoshi.
- While in the Yoshi state if you gain a power up it just goes into Mario's item box at the top of the screen.
- While in the Yoshi state if you take damage then what? A one hit kill would seem unfair. In Donkey Kong Country 2 they used a small icon at the bottom to represent your hit points. You could do something like this, make the Yoshi coin counter the number of hit points. If you have zero Yoshi coins then you can't transform into Yoshi. If you have 2 Yoshi coins then you can take two hits and your dead.
- You cannot climb vines in Yoshi state, however you can swim.
- If you eat a power-up like a flower it just goes into your item box.
- When you cross the no Yoshi sign you change back into Mario even if your way up into the air.
- In Yoshi state going traveling through pipes to other sections is allowed.
E rik, I don't know how challenging this is to pull off because I don't know the deep ASM behind it, but I would really appreciate it if you took a shot at it to see if it were possible. Thank you very much.