Banner
Views: 844,108,067
Time:
30 users online: AntiDuck, Aurel509, ConfusedOnionRing, Desert, DPBOX, GlitchedRS, gohkeenytp, Green Jerry, h.carrell, HammerBrother, Hayashi Neru,  idol, Kusrry, Lumy, Mariotag1,  Maxodex, musicalman, NopeContest, PerpetualSnow53, Poppy, SamuM6pdt,  Scrydan, shane, SkyeLondon18, Smibbix,  Stivi, Super Maks 64, TheMorganah, Yoshimaster96, ZAGESAW - Guests: 98 - Bots: 62 Users: 46,396 (2,776 active)
Latest: hsialin
Tip: ExAnimation also works on sprites!Not logged in.
INFERNVM (my kaizo light demo)
Forum Index - Sunken Ghost Ship - C3 Museum - Winter 2019 - INFERNVM (my kaizo light demo)
Tags:
Pages: « 1 »
Just 4 Levels of my Light Kaizo Hack INFERNVM
Yes this isn't dead

Download


For those, who have no time or mood to play the levels: No worries!
For your convience you can find videos of these 4 levels directly beneath. I hope you will enjoy this, whether you are playing or just watching! #tb{:]}






Yes, I'm aware the OW-Music sounds horrible if you leave the level "HORROR VACVI". I've been too lazy to fix this though, since this is just a C3 exlusive demo ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

--------------------
Glad you've put vids of your levels, so that one can feedback even without being able to go trough kaizo hacks.
Visually, the levels look very appealing. I like the Yoshi castle idea, and I adore the gradient in "FVLMINA PRISTINA", which looks incredibly smooth. Design looks very interesting, and very fun to go trough and to look at.
I wish you lots of luck for the development of this. Again, I'm not into Kaizo, but this looks good so far, and deserves more attention! #tb{O_O}
3 small things:
-Level 1: I don't like the fact that there's scrolling involved in the level (without indication when to scroll). Also usually people will find setups which can kind of "break" the level. If you manage to make it free of "cheese" it's fine ofc, but personally I don't like scrolling in Kaizo hacks. Just a personal thing for me :)

- Level 4: There's one big throw you have to do in the level. Sometimes big throws can be really annoying and not really consistent if there's no easy setup for it. Especially with the space physics it can be annoying to get used to. Again, if there's a not too complicated strat for it and it's consistent, then it also should be fine, my advice is to just be careful with those types of throws :)

- I have nothing against goal traps or "early troll goals" but I think you shouldn't use them in every level (so far). Especially the goal tape in the last level which you have to avoid with the chuck can just be replaced with something else such as death blocks and all that stuff.
3 main reasons why: 1. It doesn't look really nice imo 2. You have to go through the animation whenever you fail the trick 3. If you struggle with the level and have to deal with figuring out a difficult goal trap it can become really frustrating for players.

I think that's it for the "negative part".

So far every level looks really interesting and for me it looks like a refreshing mix of old style kaizo and new tricks/setupts/etc. with wonderful graphics. There's also nothing negative to say about the music. The music is not just good, it's almost perfect. Music fits to the environment and the "style" of the levels. So, yeah. Really looking forward to the release of the hack some day! :)
Even though I'm not someone who plays Kaizo hacks often, I can really applaud the skill that you've shown here in the videos; the levels look and appear to play well, and the details for direction and sprite placement is a helpful addition. The mechanics in each level here are also solid and don't vary by much.
Generally, the levels in this demo are well done. Great job, Sariel (#smw{:TUP:}). And just to be honest here, the level entitled "VINDICTA DAMNATI" is generally my favorite-looking level in the game, primarily because it reminds me of This old SMW Stage, and the fact that the stage scrolls left rather than right- a rare thing in SMW custom levels.

Hope to see more of your hack in the future! #w{=)}
Originally posted by Wakana
[lots of compliments]

thank you so much my cutie. The videos have the exact purpose you mentioned. So people, who aren't into kaizo can give feedback as well.
Glad you liked it! #fim{<3}


Originally posted by Allrounder
-Level 1: I don't like the fact that there's scrolling involved in the level (without indication when to scroll). Also usually people will find setups which can kind of "break" the level. If you manage to make it free of "cheese" it's fine ofc, but personally I don't like scrolling in Kaizo hacks. Just a personal thing for me :)

- Level 4: There's one big throw you have to do in the level. Sometimes big throws can be really annoying and not really consistent if there's no easy setup for it. Especially with the space physics it can be annoying to get used to. Again, if there's a not too complicated strat for it and it's consistent, then it also should be fine, my advice is to just be careful with those types of throws :)

- I have nothing against goal traps or "early troll goals" but I think you shouldn't use them in every level (so far). Especially the goal tape in the last level which you have to avoid with the chuck can just be replaced with something else such as death blocks and all that stuff.
3 main reasons why: 1. It doesn't look really nice imo 2. You have to go through the animation whenever you fail the trick 3. If you struggle with the level and have to deal with figuring out a difficult goal trap it can become really frustrating for players.

I think that's it for the "negative part".

So far every level looks really interesting and for me it looks like a refreshing mix of old style kaizo and new tricks/setupts/etc. with wonderful graphics. There's also nothing negative to say about the music. The music is not just good, it's almost perfect. Music fits to the environment and the "style" of the levels. So, yeah. Really looking forward to the release of the hack some day! :)

Thanks for the effort of writing such a long feedback. Yet i feel the urge to respond to a few things and make them more clear:
- Level 1: You said you don't like the scrolling and that there's no indication for it. The only part of the level, where scrolling is neccessary is at about 0:35. If you take a closer look though, there's clearly an "L", which indicates that you have to scroll and even gives you the correct direction. Therefore i cannot really understand this complaint. And yes, people may try to break it, but is there really much room for breaking? You have a super koopa and a dry bones there. I doubt there are many chances to break this part.
Perhaps i misunderstood you though and you meant an other part of the level. If not though, i hope i made my thoughts about this part more clear for you and that it is probably more fair, than you initially thought?

- Level 4: I think with "big throw" you mean the heavy, yet unusual gimmick? If yes, i agree that i could possibly introduce this better than with the hopping flame. I'll definitely keep this in mind and think about, what i can change there.

- Level 4: Goal traps / troll goals. I understand your reasons, why you dislike them. If they do / do not look good really depends on the personal taste i guess. I'm not bothered by such traps, but as said, this may depend on the player. You on't need to go through the entire goal animation though, since you directly fall into the abyss and so the retry-system gets instantly triggered. So you can restart the level, even if just the first few notes of the victory fanfare began to play. I can't say anything against your point, if players have struggle, figuring out how these traps work. I could say, this is a more puzzly light kaizo hack and only intelligent players will be able to beat this either way. That's no real excuse or reason though. So i (at least partially) agree with you there, too.
Thank you, that you also found several positive things you liked. I always struggle selecting some fitting music, but i'm glad you appreciate it that much.
Thanks again for your detailed feedback. I'll definitely keep several of your points in mind. #smw{:TUP:}


Originally posted by Flippn'Fences
the levels look and appear to play well, and the details for direction and sprite placement is a helpful addition. The mechanics in each level here are also solid and don't vary by much.
[...]
"VINDICTA DAMNATI" is generally my favorite-looking level in the game, primarily because it reminds me of This old SMW Stage, and the fact that the stage scrolls left rather than right- a rare thing in SMW custom levels.

Thanks for your compliments. In VINDICTA DAMNATI's video description i mentioned, that exactly this stage has been its inspiration. Glad not only me remembers this good old classic. #tb{:DD}
Again, thanks for your kind words. #tb{:]}

--------------------
I don't usually play Kaizo Levels, but when I do... I get stressed haha.
Seriously, it seems great, I will give it a try.
I've been enjoying myself so far on this hack! I still am yet to start playing two more levels, but that's enough to catch my attention.
Maybe add some warning signs for when the off-screen chainsaws show up to kill you like you did with the other levels? idk it's just a suggestion to make things more fair.
Why are both message boxes in the level I start empty though?
Originally posted by N450
I don't usually play Kaizo Levels, but when I do... I get stressed haha.
Seriously, it seems great, I will give it a try.

It's always an honor if non-kaizo players try out my hack. Be warned though that it might be more difficult than it looks like. Even some light kaizo speedrunners failed on it already. #tb{;)}



Originally posted by Katerpie
I've been enjoying myself so far on this hack! I still am yet to start playing two more levels, but that's enough to catch my attention.
Maybe add some warning signs for when the off-screen chainsaws show up to kill you like you did with the other levels? idk it's just a suggestion to make things more fair.
Why are both message boxes in the level I start empty though?

I'm happy that you are still following this, after all the time this hack is already in development. #tb{:j}
By "adding some warning signs because of the offscreen chainsaws", i guess you mean the chainsaws in the tree level? If yes, i just did this due to your feedback. If you mean other chainsaws you could perhaps explain a bit more detailed, which ones you mean?
Between both of us: I've also sent this demo to a LPer. In the 2 messages boxes in the intro level, there were a few explanations for him. He's new to smw so i thought he might need it. Why i only removed the message boxes texts instead of the message boxes itself? I have no clue. I'm silly perhaps. #tb{:p}

--------------------
Originally posted by Sariel
By "adding some warning signs because of the offscreen chainsaws", i guess you mean the chainsaws in the tree level?

Yeah I mean these.
I'm not currently great at kaizo hacks so for now I'll pass on playing this, but it's awesome that you added the videos for this exact purpose!

video 1: The first thing I love is the sprite graphics swaps. I've always found, firstly, the garbled graphics of vanilla lunar magic sprites to be sorta appealing, so switching around sprite graphics is great. And blending them so well with Yoshi too!
ALSO! Using yoshi heads for munchers is love (it was my favorite thing about asmt). :3

video 2: Really neat wood like level. There's just something about wood that catches the eye. It's simplicity is super nice!
My first critique is really the fact that the saws come out of nowhere a lot of the time. Which I think has been said before. You added blue coins to indicate shells but nothing to indicate what really is the main obstacle and primary means of navigating the level.
Other than that. I loved it!

video 3: GROSS MUNCHER FLAME CUTOFF!!!! Just kidding. #w{=P}
The background palette is really cool. The clouds blend really well and do a great job of purveying the idea that it is mayhaps late in the evening.
I'm really wondering though... I know the purpose of the 1,2,3,4 in the area with the turtle and shell is to show the order in which you need to jump, but I feel that it might be more confusing to somebody than helpful in the moment unless they are really quick on the uptake... but that's just me.

video 4: Digging the use of custom sprites. If that's really what they are? They could just be clever asm editing or something. But I would really like to know how you did that with the foreground. Making it clear like that! It's an awesome effect! The interesting thing about this level is that it doesn't even really look like a kaizo level at first glance. But it's secretly kinda wild.

To recap: This is brilliant, Sariel! Keep it up great work! ^_^

And how do you add Youtube videos to your post like that??? #w{=|}
Originally posted by Sariel

Thanks for the effort of writing such a long feedback. Yet i feel the urge to respond to a few things and make them more clear:
- Level 1: You said you don't like the scrolling and that there's no indication for it. The only part of the level, where scrolling is neccessary is at about 0:35. If you take a closer look though, there's clearly an "L", which indicates that you have to scroll and even gives you the correct direction. Therefore i cannot really understand this complaint. And yes, people may try to break it, but is there really much room for breaking? You have a super koopa and a dry bones there. I doubt there are many chances to break this part.
Perhaps i misunderstood you though and you meant an other part of the level. If not though, i hope i made my thoughts about this part more clear for you and that it is probably more fair, than you initially thought?

- Level 4: I think with "big throw" you mean the heavy, yet unusual gimmick? If yes, i agree that i could possibly introduce this better than with the hopping flame. I'll definitely keep this in mind and think about, what i can change there.

- Level 4: Goal traps / troll goals. I understand your reasons, why you dislike them. If they do / do not look good really depends on the personal taste i guess. I'm not bothered by such traps, but as said, this may depend on the player. You on't need to go through the entire goal animation though, since you directly fall into the abyss and so the retry-system gets instantly triggered. So you can restart the level, even if just the first few notes of the victory fanfare began to play. I can't say anything against your point, if players have struggle, figuring out how these traps work. I could say, this is a more puzzly light kaizo hack and only intelligent players will be able to beat this either way. That's no real excuse or reason though. So i (at least partially) agree with you there, too.
Thank you, that you also found several positive things you liked. I always struggle selecting some fitting music, but i'm glad you appreciate it that much.
Thanks again for your detailed feedback. I'll definitely keep several of your points in mind. #smw{:TUP:}



Always happy if I can help somehow :D

So for Level 1 and the scrolling .. I actually didn't see that because Mario was standing there and my focus was on different parts :D I'm sorry. It's perfectly fine then ofc!

With the throw I meant that one big throw between two fishes (1:03). It can be quite difficult to get that consistent I would guess because it's almost at the end too ^^

For the goal tape part, just like you said, it's personal preference ^^ Just because we have different opinions it doesn't make the hack worse for me though. So far the traps don't require insane knowledge and are fair. If it stays like that there's definitely nothing wrong with that. Just something you have to be careful with in future (especially difficult) levels I would say :D

Also one more thing:

There's a falling shell in level 2 (0:54). I know there's an indicator with a coin but NaroGugul used ASM which shows sprites off-screen (in the second or third level of Joy of Kaizo and also Claustrophobia I think). It could be helpful for that. It will show a red blinking shell on top of the screen and you can see that it's off-screen. Nothing important but I thought it's worth mentioning :)
tfw so many replies in such a short time. Didn't expect this, but it makes me happy #tb{:j}

Originally posted by Katerpie
Originally posted by Sariel
By "adding some warning signs because of the offscreen chainsaws", i guess you mean the chainsaws in the tree level?

Yeah I mean these.

Glad we made this clear^^ There are exclamation marks like in the castle level now for most of the saws. I hope this is enough of a warning.


Originally posted by LethalBrownies
My first critique is really the fact that the saws come out of nowhere a lot of the time. Which I think has been said before. You added blue coins to indicate shells but nothing to indicate what really is the main obstacle and primary means of navigating the level.
Other than that. I loved it!

video 3:I'm really wondering though... I know the purpose of the 1,2,3,4 in the area with the turtle and shell is to show the order in which you need to jump, but I feel that it might be more confusing to somebody than helpful in the moment unless they are really quick on the uptake... but that's just me.

video 4: Digging the use of custom sprites. [...] But I would really like to know how you did that with the foreground. Making it clear like that! It's an awesome effect! The interesting thing about this level is that it doesn't even really look like a kaizo level at first glance. But it's secretly kinda wild.

To recap: This is brilliant, Sariel! Keep it up great work! ^_^

And how do you add Youtube videos to your post like that??? #w{=|}

Thanks for complimenting every single of my levels so much. I'll just respond to your critique though, if that's okay.

video 2: There are exclamation marks like in the castle level now for most of the saws. (lazy copypaste from my reply to Katerpie #tb{:p})

video 3: This won't be the first level where i use the 1, 2, 3, 4 indicators to show the order of how to do something. There will be other levels, which use these numbers as well and where the player has more time to figure out, what they mean (aka the levels have no autoscroll). So i think in the end, if the player encounters the signs here, too, he should be able to quickly comprehend, what he has to do there.

video 4: This hack doesn't use any custom sprites. The only asm used for this hack are the retry-patch and a counterbreak. Anything else is entirely vanilla. You want to know, how to do that gravity thing? I recommend reading this. You can find some other neat vanilla tricks in this thread, too. #tb{;)}

For embedding the YT-vids i used an <iframe></iframe>-css-command. if you want to learn more, you could simply google for css-commands. Most of them are pretty easy to understand. I hope this wil help you, too. #tb{:j}

Again, thank you very much for your feedback. These are some of my best levels, so i'm glad you like them so much! #tb{:]}


Originally posted by Allrounder
With the throw I meant that one big throw between two fishes (1:03). It can be quite difficult to get that consistent I would guess because it's almost at the end too ^^

For the goal tape part, just like you said, it's personal preference ^^ Just because we have different opinions it doesn't make the hack worse for me though. So far the traps don't require insane knowledge and are fair. If it stays like that there's definitely nothing wrong with that. Just something you have to be careful with in future (especially difficult) levels I would say :D

Also one more thing:

There's a falling shell in level 2 (0:54). I know there's an indicator with a coin but NaroGugul used ASM which shows sprites off-screen (in the second or third level of Joy of Kaizo and also Claustrophobia I think)[...]

Now i understand what you meant with "big throw". I actually have nearly no problem performing this. But if some betatesters (if i ever find some) also complain about this part i may remove the cheep-cheeps. This should make the throw much easier.

I'll definitely keep your goal-trap aspect in mind. I generally plan to make levels around that difficulty as the ones shown in this thread, so hopefully these kind of traps, won't become too much of a problem.

Since imoderated narogogul's joy of kaizo back then, I'm aware he used these offscreen shell indicators. And i admit i was fascinate by them. First, my hack aims to be (almost) entirely vanilla, so i hesitate to insert any custom stuff. Yet i understand your concern and it would indeed look better, than a single purple coin. my second problem though is, that this hack uses sa-1 and not every asm is already sa-1 compatible. Last time i checked this shell indicator, it wasn't but maybe that changed meanwhile. Anyways, this hack is still far from being finished and perhaps i can add it, when I'm closer to releasing a final version. We'll see.
Thank you again for your detailed feedback and your friendly response. #tb{:]}

--------------------
Originally posted by Sariel
Originally posted by Flippn'Fences
the levels look and appear to play well, and the details for direction and sprite placement is a helpful addition. The mechanics in each level here are also solid and don't vary by much.
[...]
"VINDICTA DAMNATI" is generally my favorite-looking level in the game, primarily because it reminds me of This old SMW Stage, and the fact that the stage scrolls left rather than right- a rare thing in SMW custom levels.

Thanks for your compliments. In VINDICTA DAMNATI's video description i mentioned, that exactly this stage has been its inspiration. Glad not only me remembers this good old classic. #tb{:DD}
Again, thanks for your kind words. #tb{:]}

Your welcome! Glad you're in the community, and that you also remember this stage! #w{=)}
Pages: « 1 »
Forum Index - Sunken Ghost Ship - C3 Museum - Winter 2019 - INFERNVM (my kaizo light demo)

The purpose of this site is not to distribute copyrighted material, but to honor one of our favourite games.

Copyright © 2005 - 2020 - SMW Central
Legal Information - Privacy Policy - Link To Us


Menu

Follow Us On

  • YouTube
  • Twitch
  • Twitter

Affiliates

  • Super Mario Bros. X Community
  • ROMhacking.net
  • Mario Fan Games Galaxy