Banner
Views: 816,176,456
Time:
19 users online: Ccedric68, containercore, cyphermur9t, Daizo Dee Von, DJSpleef, Fermín Acosta Jr., fsvgm777, h.carrell, I'm Poppy, Insanit,  Meirdent, Nowieso, Overcomon7, Pink Gold Peach, Runic_Rain, scratch, SimFan96, Trollboy, westslasher2 - Guests: 49 - Bots: 174 Users: 43,214 (2,261 active)
Latest: ArcanumL
Tip: Try not to place secret exits at the very end of levels-- the player will basically have to go through the same level twice.Not logged in.
Routines Section
Forum Index - Valley of Bowser - Site Questions, Feedback & Bugs - Routines Section
Pages: « 1 »
I discussed this in the Discord a while back, but it'd be cool if we had a section for posting PIXI and GPS routines. It kind of exists in the ASM code library, but I'm imagining something a bit more expanded. You can make really fun, janky sprites by frankensteining pieces of code together, and it'd make doing that more accessible for newbies.

Would people be interested in creating something like that? It looks like PIXI is here to stay, and GPS has been here for years, so yeah.
Not a bad idea, but wouldn't it be a bit... weird? I'm not an expert (I write this opinion based in the few knowledge I have about ASM and resources, so excuse me if there's something I'm not understanding), but as far as I know, custom routines are already included in resources that need them, so making a section just for routines sounds somewhat redundant for me.
Originally posted by Shiny Ninetales
Not a bad idea, but wouldn't it be a bit... weird? I'm not an expert (I write this opinion based in the few knowledge I have about ASM and resources, so excuse me if there's something I'm not understanding), but as far as I know, custom routines are already included in resources that need them, so making a section just for routines sounds somewhat redundant for me.


Eh, it's for bits of code that can be shared among sprites, like bumping in bumpers, ground pounding, looping across the screen, etc. It's not for "This specific sprite needs this to function", it's for "this code is cool and you can use it for other stuff".

You can see some examples in the code library, actually. There are bits of code for exploding like a bobomb, having a sprite follow Mario's x or Y position, etc.
Late with this one, my apologies.

Originally posted by Darkbloom
You can see some examples in the code library, actually.

I'd argue that stuff like this is the expressed purpose of said library, specifically the Sprites subcategory.

All things considered we have no intention of creating such a section at this time. We will reconsider should interest eventually balloon to the point where the Code Library thread becomes unfit to accommodate. Thanks for venturing the idea, though - it never hurts to ask!
A routines section will work as long as it can be exported to GPS, UberASM or PIXI shared routines and being able to download them as a single .zip for including in such tools.

GPS and PIXI formats are fairly similar. UberASM Tool follows a different approach but I can adapt for GPS/PIXI as well. The UberASM Tool one (label based format) has some advantage and disadvantages compared to the macro based format.

Other than that, I don't see any real advantage over the current code library if it's not meant for sharing and using across tools.

--------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xkRkaXPN_A
---
GitHub - Twitter - YouTube - Blog - SnesLab Discord
Originally posted by Vitor Vilela
A routines section will work as long as it can be exported to GPS, UberASM or PIXI shared routines and being able to download them as a single .zip for including in such tools.

GPS and PIXI formats are fairly similar. UberASM Tool follows a different approach but I can adapt for GPS/PIXI as well. The UberASM Tool one (label based format) has some advantage and disadvantages compared to the macro based format.

Other than that, I don't see any real advantage over the current code library if it's not meant for sharing and using across tools.


Being able to share it/use it across tools would be cool, actually. I hadn't thought about it at the time, but it seems like a logical way to handle it.
Pages: « 1 »
Forum Index - Valley of Bowser - Site Questions, Feedback & Bugs - Routines Section

The purpose of this site is not to distribute copyrighted material, but to honor one of our favourite games.

Copyright © 2005 - 2020 - SMW Central
Legal Information - Privacy Policy - Link To Us


Total queries: 15

Menu

Follow Us On

  • YouTube
  • Twitch
  • Twitter

Affiliates

  • Super Mario Bros. X Community
  • ROMhacking.net
  • Mario Fan Games Galaxy