Banner
Views: 784,742,778
Time:
9 users online: Alex_X8, Fullcannon, harry567,  KKevinM,  RussianMan,  Tob, vladislav4, Yurisphyxia, Zeldara109 - Guests: 19 - Bots: 167 Users: 41,036 (1,553 active)
Latest: harry567
Tip: Use PIXI to insert custom sprites into your hack.Not logged in.
BLDC - Discussion and Questions
Forum Index - Important - The Base Rom Level Design Contest - BLDC - Discussion and Questions
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
What's What-Sprite.txt

Prease add it.

-Sprite no64 tracker block-

Extension
00-up
01-right
02-down
03-left
I don't think we realized it had that support. I'll add it to the documentation. Thanks.
User: Hinalyte / ID: 1553 ~ loading kotori.css
Another level design contest that I can't enter 😔
Originally posted by Hinalyte
Another level design contest that I can't enter 😔


me neither 😔😔😔😔😔
So idol kinda answered these questions already, and all but one of these have been answered "no" but I'll ask to make sure.

So 4 questions:
> Is merging already merged tiles allowed?
> Is recolouring tiles with the "transparent palette" allowed (example)
> Is colour reduction allowed? (example)
> Is merging recoloured tiles allowed?

The third and fourth ones I already did to a certain extent (my level uses chests, moon, and solid merged blocks that have some palette reduction), but I want to make sure since the rules are so vague and currently the answers I got are not public.

I fear a lot of people have done at least one of the four already.

--------------------
Are you an ASM coder and want a boost on your Steam, Switch, PS4, or Xbox One accounts? Private Message me for details.
(I also offer SMW Custom Songs in exchange for ASM! I don't do ports though unless it's to remix.)

Want progress on 100 Rooms of Enemies: The Nightmare Edition? Go here to see.

Are you a sample porter and wanna help with 100 Rooms of Enemies: The Nightmare Edition? Private Message me or Mellonpizza for details. Expect trading or boosting in exchange. 6 more left.

Alright I didn't realize I'd have to rule on this but I will because more than one person has brought it up at this point.

1. You can't merge already merged tiles. Merging is intended to be only two tiles.
2. You can't recolor to transparency. That goes way too close to straight up redrawing tiles if you're allowed to change around what's transparent in it or not.
3. You can't reduce colors like you've shown. Similar to the last point, being able to reduce colors on a graphics that much can basically give the same result as drawing new tiles.
4. You can merge recolored tiles. I don't have a problem with this point because it's just combining two different ways of manipulating graphics.

Honestly I'd love to let you do what you show in your examples because those recolors to transparent and color reductions are pretty reasonable. But if I allow it, I'll be allowing way too many potential problems with judging down the road, and I'm not going to ask that everyone "show me their graphics" or something so that we can subjectively check if the amount of reductions or recolors to transparent are "reasonable". I gotta put my foot down somewhere, even if I've opened up the graphics rules a lot more than VLDC11. They're basically a straight copy of how VLDCX's graphics rules worked.

I'm sure this is annoying to have to go back and fix, but at least the questions came up now and not closer to the contest deadline.
Well, a lot of that is annoying. Though, I would like to have a clear answer to what counts as "colour reduction".

Originally posted by FPzero
3. You can't reduce colors like you've shown. Similar to the last point, being able to reduce colors on a graphics that much can basically give the same result as drawing new tiles.

So I guess the question is if the tile is using two palettes, but both palettes are the same colour, does that work?

Before, after.

--------------------
Are you an ASM coder and want a boost on your Steam, Switch, PS4, or Xbox One accounts? Private Message me for details.
(I also offer SMW Custom Songs in exchange for ASM! I don't do ports though unless it's to remix.)

Want progress on 100 Rooms of Enemies: The Nightmare Edition? Go here to see.

Are you a sample porter and wanna help with 100 Rooms of Enemies: The Nightmare Edition? Private Message me or Mellonpizza for details. Expect trading or boosting in exchange. 6 more left.

You example would work yes. I know it eats into palette space because you have to duplicate colors, but that's just a limitation of the rule. The general idea behind recoloring originally was meant so that you could, for instance, take a graphic whose colors exist on a weird part of a palette row, and move those colors to another part. Basically shifting colors elsewhere in a row to be more convenient to you. It wasn't really intended to be a way for people to reduce color consumption. Basically, a line has to be drawn somewhere.
Okay I have one more question since it just popped in my mind.

> Is merging flipped tiles allowed? I haven't flipped any of my tiles at all, I'm more asking just in case people have done it already.

--------------------
Are you an ASM coder and want a boost on your Steam, Switch, PS4, or Xbox One accounts? Private Message me for details.
(I also offer SMW Custom Songs in exchange for ASM! I don't do ports though unless it's to remix.)

Want progress on 100 Rooms of Enemies: The Nightmare Edition? Go here to see.

Are you a sample porter and wanna help with 100 Rooms of Enemies: The Nightmare Edition? Private Message me or Mellonpizza for details. Expect trading or boosting in exchange. 6 more left.

When you say that you can only use 10 ExGFX Files, do you mean we can only pick 10 of the ExGFX files in the Baserom + any edited ones, or do you mean we can create up to 10 ExGFX files for our edited graphics?
Originally posted by Daizo Dee Von
Okay I have one more question since it just popped in my mind.

> Is merging flipped tiles allowed? I haven't flipped any of my tiles at all, I'm more asking just in case people have done it already.

Yes, like merging recolored tiles, those are treated as bespoke operations and would be okay.

Originally posted by Digital Entertainment
When you say that you can only use 10 ExGFX Files, do you mean we can only pick 10 of the ExGFX files in the Baserom + any edited ones, or do you mean we can create up to 10 ExGFX files for our edited graphics?

The latter. You can create up to 10 new ExGFX files for the purposes of your level.
The SMAS SMB2 Ice foreground doesn't seem to work for me. When I put 0CE in FG3 and 0CF in AN2 all the ledge/terrain Map16 tiles turn into garbage. I could very well be doing something wrong, but I thought I'd go ahead and report it in case there's a genuine issue.

--------------------
Erstwhile TheCowDestroyer / TheIncredibleCowDestroyer.
I just realized an issue with custom Map16 for the Background. Because of the way the files work, if you didn't make a new background and just wanted to add like, clouds for example, you would have to copy all of the graphics associated with the background, and have to reconstruct it.
Originally posted by Cote de Boeuf
The SMAS SMB2 Ice foreground doesn't seem to work for me. When I put 0CE in FG3 and 0CF in AN2 all the ledge/terrain Map16 tiles turn into garbage. I could very well be doing something wrong, but I thought I'd go ahead and report it in case there's a genuine issue.

Like I mention in the Things You Should Be Aware Of post, Foregrounds were not set up. Only Backgrounds were. The Sample Levels were included for foregrounds so people could extract palettes from them at the very least. You'll have to set up the foreground tiles yourself if you want to use them.

Originally posted by Digital Entertainment
I just realized an issue with custom Map16 for the Background. Because of the way the files work, if you didn't make a new background and just wanted to add like, clouds for example, you would have to copy all of the graphics associated with the background, and have to reconstruct it.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but can't you just put the tiles you want to add onto another BG page and then add them?
Originally posted by FPzero
Originally posted by Digital Entertainment
I just realized an issue with custom Map16 for the Background. Because of the way the files work, if you didn't make a new background and just wanted to add like, clouds for example, you would have to copy all of the graphics associated with the background, and have to reconstruct it.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but can't you just put the tiles you want to add onto another BG page and then add them?

Because of the way all the backgrounds are set up, you have to copy all the background tiles you want to use to a blank page just to add new pieces due to the fact the only available blank background spaces are in the next "map16" bank (so you can't add tiles from 80-8F and 90-9F at the same time).

--------------------
Are you an ASM coder and want a boost on your Steam, Switch, PS4, or Xbox One accounts? Private Message me for details.
(I also offer SMW Custom Songs in exchange for ASM! I don't do ports though unless it's to remix.)

Want progress on 100 Rooms of Enemies: The Nightmare Edition? Go here to see.

Are you a sample porter and wanna help with 100 Rooms of Enemies: The Nightmare Edition? Private Message me or Mellonpizza for details. Expect trading or boosting in exchange. 6 more left.

You can tell I haven't hacked in a while. I forgot "map16" banks were even still a limitation we have to abide by. Um, well I spoke with Major Flare and he confirmed he only used up to Page 8B for inserting the BG graphics and that 8C-8F are clear to use. I just blocked them off for organizational purposes but forgot about banks entirely. I think I'll update the rules to allow for the use of Pages 8C-8F as a concession. Sorry folks. But hopefully this should make things easier in the long run.

By the way, expect a Base Rom update tonight. We're finishing testing 1.02 and it'll have a few helpful fixes like an SA-1 compatible Layer 3 to Subscreen patch.
Base Rom has been updated to 1.02. Read the included Changelog or read this post for the changes.
So a few people in a group I'm in were concerned about judges docking points for using the L and R buttons to intentionally break certain stages, and I just wanted to be the first to request the judges to not dock points just because we aren't testing levels with that in mind. I mean like, almost nobody builds their levels with L/R Scroll in mind, so it would be silly if that's a factor in docking points. It's like a lesser version of the "let's drop a P-switch in the pit on purpose to selflock myself" problem to me.

--------------------
Are you an ASM coder and want a boost on your Steam, Switch, PS4, or Xbox One accounts? Private Message me for details.
(I also offer SMW Custom Songs in exchange for ASM! I don't do ports though unless it's to remix.)

Want progress on 100 Rooms of Enemies: The Nightmare Edition? Go here to see.

Are you a sample porter and wanna help with 100 Rooms of Enemies: The Nightmare Edition? Private Message me or Mellonpizza for details. Expect trading or boosting in exchange. 6 more left.

I think that its all about context. I dont think its unreasonable for a judge to dock points from a level if a certain aspect of it can be fundamentally broken by an oversight. I think it's up to the designer to try to accommodate for as many possible exploits as possible, and just blaming the player for trying it seems kind of unproductive.

There's a distinct difference between duplicating a block, throwing away an item, and just scrolling the screen. Duplicating a block to get an item that lets you bypass a level should never be considered in a level's score, as it's an unintended method of playing the game that the player knows is actively breaking the internal rules. Throwing an item down a pit accidentally, or deliberately, doesnt fall on the fault of the designer (most of the time) as it's reasonable to expect the player will not do such a counter-productive action.
Scrolling the screen however, is a part of the base game and built into the internal rules. And as such, it is perfectly reasonable to be expected to be able to design a level with it in mind; obviously in most cases we have the power to disable scrolling with uberasm, but without it it's up to you to keep it in mind when making your level.

I think it's on the same level of complaining that pressing select with a reserve item is cheating because you're supposed to do that section small. Or even getting mad at a player for spin jumping off of a thwomp instead of jumping over it. If it's a part of the base game's rules, it need to be accounted for.


But that's just my opinion #smrpg{y}
most okayest
I think that, even when talking about using L/R scrolling, there are big differences between actually breaking the level (which I think it should dock points) and just manipulating sprite spawns using the scrolling. The latter is actually pretty difficult (I would say nearly impossible) to avoid; the only solution I can think off is to separate every setup with GHB's scrolling pipes,so I don't think that should affect the score at all.

Talking about other things, I see the top 3 and the top 10 will recieve a trophy, but the rest of the participants will have a consolation trophy (as usual in those kind of contests) or nothing at all?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
Forum Index - Important - The Base Rom Level Design Contest - BLDC - Discussion and Questions

The purpose of this site is not to distribute copyrighted material, but to honor one of our favourite games.

Copyright © 2005 - 2019 - SMW Central
Legal Information - Privacy Policy - Link To Us


Total queries: 7

Menu

Follow Us On

  • YouTube
  • Twitch
  • Twitter

Affiliates

  • Talkhaus
  • SMBX Community
  • GTx0
  • Super Luigi Bros
  • ROMhacking.net
  • MFGG
  • Gaming Reinvented