Welcome to the beta testers thread!
Do you have a hack but have no idea who to ask for testing?
Is it ready to submit but you need to make sure it fully works?
Do you want to somehow offer your help to hack authors in testing their hacks but you have no idea where to look or who to ask?
This is the thread for you!
This thread intends to bridge hack authors who need testers with people who are willing to playtest hacks.
Each tester will have a "profile" with their availability, accepted difficulties, and a list of all the hacks that they have tested, including a link to their feedback.
How can you apply to be a beta tester?
Simple! Make a post in this thread for your profile, in the same vein as our moderators' moderation logs
Status - Available
Difficulty - Easy-Hard
Hacks Tested (3):
- Hack (Completed)
- Hack (Completed)
- Hack (Testing)
There is no mandatory formatting for it; just make sure that it's readable and follows the forum rules on CSS use.
Of course, your efforts will not go unnoticed! Posts with quality feedback will given a score in points; having a certain number of points grants you special badges, namely for increments of 10, 25, 50, 75, 100, 150 and 200 points!
You can gain .5, 1, 1.5 or 2 points for your posts, depending on their content and effort put into them: Examples!
Examples do not indicate exact point values, and points will be awarded on review of feedback; a long post does not guarantee full points.
FOR PEOPLE WHO WANT TO APPLY AS TESTERS
- To apply, simply post a reply in this thread in the format described above. You'll be added to the list as soon as possible. Don't panic if you don't see your name immediately; it may take some time but your score will still be awarded.
- As soon as you make your post in this thread, you can start testing and posting feedback in active threads, if there are any, you don't need to wait to be asked to test a hack. A score is given upon review of your post containing feedback.
- Your feedback should be contained to a single post, unless the hack creator asks for clarification. Extra clarification posts will not earn you additional points.
- Don't post until you are finished playtesting.
- Try to keep your list in this thread up to date: add hacks to your post immediately upon beginning testing, and mark completed hacks as such as soon as possible.
- After you test a hack, add a link to your feedback post into your profile.
- Do not cheat:
Your feedback is reviewed. If we find out that you've added hacks to your list that you haven't tested, you will be removed from the list, and your post/score/badges will be removed.
- Always respect the author's work. Do not insult or mock them for their design choices. If this happens in any of your feedback posts, but also outside this subforum, the points you would've received will be deducted from your overall score.
- However, constructive criticism is appreciated Make sure to choose your words to try and avoid any miscommunications between you and the hack author.
- If any issues arise, such as a user harassing you to test their hack while you are already busy with another one, or a user flaming you for your feedback, please report them to any Forum Moderator
FOR PEOPLE WHO ARE SEARCHING FOR TESTERS
- If you need your hack tested, make a public thread in this subforum, and make sure that the opening post contains a link to your .bps. You can use your file bin to store your hack's beta .bps. Screenshots are not needed, but they could make testers more interested in testing your hack.
- Your opening post needs to include the length of the hack, in exits, and the difficulty you feel it has.
- Feel free to also use any of the regular Tags
when talking about your hack to try and cultivate the appropriate audience.
- Once you have made a thread, you may ask testers marked as available if they are willing to playtest your hack. Please do not disturb users marked as unavailable.
- You are allowed to update the .bps file, but don't change it too often. If you update your .bps, it's ok to make a post stating you've updated it, but make sure that you update the link to it in the original post.
- Always wait for the tester's feedback before submitting your hack to the hacks section.
Submitting it earlier renders the tester's invested time meaningless. Please have respect for the amount of work playtesting a hack requires.
- Don't harass testers to test your hack; they're free to choose which hacks they want to test.
- Do not repeatedly request testing from testers who have turned down your request before, and do not harass or insult testers for their feedback. If there is an issue with someone's feedback, such as unnecessary rudeness or insults, then please contact a Forum Moderator
THINGS OF NOTE
- Here is the list of difficulty options for reference:
- Very Hard
- Kaizo: Hard
- Before submitting your hack, check how other users view your difficulty. For example, if you posted your hack under Hard, but multiple users say that it's more Normal, it's probably a good idea to mark your hack as Normal instead.
- With this new thread, users who wish to receive points for any previous feedback need to make a new profile here. All previous feedback will fall under the previous rules
when being scored.
- Starting with this thread, all feedback must be on hacks posted within the last 6 months by an active poster
for points to be received.
~If you have any additional questions or something wasn't clear feel free to send me a PM.