Updated November 10th, 20:11 UTC:
Revised the color/palette usage rule. Now it's fine to use
the marked (forbidden) colors provided they're not edited
. Also revised the penalization (point deduction) of breaking that rule to reflect the change.
ExGraphics Contest 2019
Welcome to ExGraphics (ExGFX) Contest 2019! Your goal in this contest is to use your custom graphics skills to make the best possible foreground and/or background tileset following a certain theme. I, Gloomy
, will be your host! Let's take a look at what theme we'll be having this time and what rules you'll be following!
The theme for this contest will be: Steampunk
! Imagine a future during which steam power has maintained mainstream usage, or a fantasy world that similarly employs steam power. Your task is to immerse your entry in such a wacky world! Common elements in Steampunk are: anachronistic or retrofuturistic technology in general; metal (most commonly brass, followed by steel and copper), wood, bricks, glass and black-painted materials; analog mechanisms and gauges; metallic pipes, chimneys, pistons and cranes; porthole windows; halogen lamps; gears, rivets and bolts; and coiled cables.
Steampunk environments are mostly urban. There's a variety of locations that are associated with the theme, such as city landscapes, houses, offices, workshops, laboratories, stations, ports, factories, and vehicles such as trains, airships, blimps and steam-powered ships. If you need inspiration, type "steampunk X" on Google Images, where 'X' is any of the locations/vehicles I mentioned earlier. Don't forget that you can also use weather elements to your advantage, such as rain, snow and fog!
As with the other contests that have come before, we're running two categories
: one for foregrounds, and one for backgrounds. You can submit both, and they will be judged separately. You are free to include Layer 3 in your entry. We will allow graphical edits on Sprites. How these two will be judged are explained later on below.
- Submit either a foreground, or a background or both.
- Edit and use any of the colors that are NOT MARKED with X in this picture. However, you can still use the marked colors, provided you do not edit them.
- Use Layer 3.
- Graphically edit Super Mario World's Sprites.
- Use ExAnimation.
- Use any tools or programs to make your graphics, as long they're submitted in ExGFX (.bin) format.
- Work with a partner.
- Use more than 2 Map16 pages for each category.
- Edit any of the original foreground/background graphics of Super Mario World.
- Use ripped graphics or graphics made by someone else at all.
- Use any ASM that is not already included with Lunar Magic.
- Submit graphics that were made prior to the contest's start.
- Reveal yourself as the author in your entry files or in areas the judges have access to, since entries will be judged anonymously.
You must submit a post in this thread that contains a link to your entry before the deadline. When preparing your entry for submission, compile it into a ZIP file containing the following:
- ExGFX files (.bin).
- Map16 files (.map16) for your foreground and/or background.
- Sample level (.mwl) utilizing your foreground and/or background. Your entry will be tested and judged in-game through the sample level! As such, make it show all that your tileset has to offer, make it have an adequate length (usually 1 to 4 screens), test it and make sure it works as intended!
Upload your entry ZIP file to your File Bin
for easy access to your entry!
The judges for this contest are: Dakras Hayashi
Scoring will be given under the following categories:
Overall Design: 40
- Does it look good?
- Are there any glitches or unintended behavior?
- Is the tileset versatile? Does the foreground have decorative objects and various tiles to interact with? Does the background loop smoothly?
- Does each tile of the tileset well convey how the player interacts with it?
- Is the background subtle enough to not blend with any foreground objects?
Adherence to Theme
- Is the tileset copied from another source?
- Does it have its own unique individuality, like its own hazards or decorative objects that fit well with it?
- Does the tileset well represent the Steampunk theme? Does it have features that really make it stand out in this way?
Layer 3 and Sprites will be judged as part of the tileset you submitted. That means they may or may not work to your advantage. It all depends on how well they complement your set!
Point deductions will be applied to your Total Average Score depending on the following:
- Missing any of the required files (ExGFX, Map16, Sample Level): Disqualification
- -5 points for each missing ExGFX or Map16 tile that affects your submission.
- -2 points for each forbidden color edited.
The top 3 participants will be rewarded with a trophy for each category. Yes, that means you can rack up 2 trophies if both of your foreground and background are winners! The top 3 participants for each category will also be allowed to pick a game from our list of codes.
Other participants will be rewarded with a participation trophy.
You have until November 30th 23:59:59 (UTC)
to submit your entry.
You can talk about the contest on our Discord
under the following channels:
(The general purpose channel to ask any questions that the judges can see without risk of spoilers.)
(The channel where you can post progress images from your entry.)
These channels can be found under the new EXGFX CONTEST category.
Good luck and have fun!