TIME UP, GO VOTE!
What better way to celebrate the death of a music contest with another music contest?
Challenge: Make an unsampled port of a song from another video game that predates Super Mario World's original Japanese release date, that is, November 21, 1990. As long as the game's original/initial release date and the presence of the song within the game predates that date, then the song is eligible.
- Noise (nXX), ADSR, and #instruments are all allowed. Any other hex commands (vibrato, echo, etc.) are allowed as well. Just don't use any custom samples (i.e. samples not already in AMK's default or optimized folder)!
- Your song must work with the latest version of AddmusicK. #default / #optimized are not required, nor are global songs, SFX or optimization; if it inserts, it's eligible. (Though it's probably not wise to omit SMW samples when the challenge is to port unsampled )
- Send submissions to me, bebn legg, via PM on the site, or via DM on Discord @bebn legg#0086. The submission must be a .zip, .rar or .7z archive containing your .txt file and the generated SPC. If you have to make an update, send me a new PM or DM.
- Automatic porting programs such as SPC2MML are banned, although considering the nature of the contest, you most likely won't have a use for them anyway. (PetiteMM and IT2AMK are legal, however)
- When submitting, tell me the name of the song and what game it's from.
- EDIT: Before I forget, it goes without saying, but all entries should be ported specifically for this contest. No using past unreleased ports!
EDIT: Clarification on remixes/arrangements:
To a certain extent, yes. Adding extra flourishes or background melodies and the like is allowed (and encouraged to make ports sound fuller). But for the most part, the song should remain the same. The melodies and tempo and so on should not be too significantly altered.
Here's an example using ineligible songs, taken from #music earlier.
Sonic 3 & Knuckles - Lava Reef Zone Act 1 to Sonic Mania - Lava Reef Zone Act 1 would be allowed since the only changes are instrument changes and a few extra flourishes, alongside very subtle beat changes.
Super Mario 64 - Slider to Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games - Slider would not be allowed because the song has new sections in the intro, sax/guitar/piano solo, and preloop section, alongside noticeably different background melodies at parts.
Ultimately, don't be too worried about disqualification if you port simply suffers from slight inaccuracies due to say, undecipherable percussion or a crappy VGMusic MIDI, or if you just liked a certain chord better in one place. A few changed notes here and there are perfectly fine. But don't go out of your way to make it a remix and recompose half the song either. Hopefully this clears things up!
As voting will be public, do not reveal your entries to anybody else! This goes for posting in Discord, in the forums, or even in the SPC tags of the song.
Breaking any rules will lead to warning and/or disqualification.
The submission period ends on November 25th, at 23:00 GMT (or 15:00 PST, 18:00 EST, or November 26th 0:00 CET, if you prefer).
After the deadline, all the entries will be compiled and posted here. Voting will be open for 48 hours following it, from November 25th to November 27th. More information will be posted when it's time!
Of course, your efforts aren't for nothing! You're already making lovely music, which is something in of itself, but for those who want even more, then we've got
I think that should be it. If you've got any questions, don't be shy to post them in this thread or DM/PM me, I'll be happy to answer them! Until then, feel free to discuss Things in the thread, just make sure you don't spoil your entries!